It's dark out and we're back on a bus headed for a new location. I have greatly enjoyed being here in Oaxaca City, it's smaller than I imagined and we had very little trouble navigating both the streets and the transportation system. People have been increadibly friendly and although tourists can been seen wandering the streets I did not feel that they were trying to rip us off because we're gabachos. Teresa has been amazingly hospitable, and it has been fun to have Moises tagging along, although Jared and I had a good laugh when on our return from Monte Albán I had to tell him where to get off and what to do, we thought it would have been funny to the locals to watch a foriegner tell a native how to navigate the city. Our time here has been very laid back, it has been enjoyable to explore the markets, try new and unusual foods, and relax in coffee shops. I tried to tell Jared that I am quite easygoing when I travel, and so long as I stay well fed and watered, I think he has begun to believe me.
One of Teresas neighbors, Doña Tina, has visited us the last couple of evenings, she is a character and had us laughing rather quickly, she talked so fast that even I had a hard time understsnding her. She even insisted I translate for Jared so he wouldn't feel bad about not understanding, but if i did I would then be lost in her conversation. This morning we were invited over to her house for breakfast, tacos de mole, pan y chocolaté oaxaqueño. It seems she is the caretaker of unwanted lives, as she had several people living with her that were unable to function in society as well as pets from abusive homes. She regaled us with stories from her travels in the states and used all her English on us. It was enjoyable to experience yet another home in Mexico.
Jared has begun to use his Spanish more often, and it is coming back to him. It's been fun to watch his confidence grow despite his stumbling through the language. Three weeks of studying spanish will do him wonders, and then he'll be correcting me more often than not. My Spanish is coming back, the last year I have hardly used it and I have forgotton many more things than I thought, but each day it seems words come back as I need them, and I am speaking more freely than I was a week ago. It has been fun to help Jared learn and I am doing my best to explain words and thier uses.
It has been a great start to our trip, and as the bus sways back and fourth on our journey towards San Cristobál de las Casas I lay back and relax, watch the moon and enjoy the freedom of once again being on the road.
No comments:
Post a Comment